Thursday, November 6, 2008

I am a grown man and I listen to:

Madonna.



I can definitely be pretty hard on Madonna sometimes. I've gone over all this before so I'm not going to start ranting about what bugs me about her. All I will say is that in the 1980s, the way she manipulated the media to her advantage and used her blatant sexuality to shock and sometimes outrage the public, helped make her, deservedly, the biggest female pop star of her generation. Today, when she tries to accomplish the same thing with vague, or sometimes completely ignorant political statements, it just comes across as tired and desperate.

That being said though, I can openly admit that Madonna is one of my all time favourite artists. This used to be mostly because of how good her old material is, in particular the one-two punch of Holiday and Lucky Star that opens up her Immaculate Collection are two of the best pop songs of all time. I also dig Ray of Light and Music, but recently I have started listening to 2007's Confessions on a Dance Floor almost nonstop. When it first came out I dismissed it as a Euro-trash guilty pleasure, but the more I listen to it the more I am completely mesmerized by the sublime Stuart Price production, and at this point, to me anyways, this record has been elevated to genius status. I absolutely love it. Of course, Hung Up and Sorry were the massive singles off this record, but the song I have been most obssessed with is Get Together, which was still a number 1 dance hit in the US, and rightfuly so: the moment when the beat drops in at the 3 minute mark is one of my favourite parts in any song ever, and I'm not even kidding.



So once again, Madonna bugs me but I also love her. Its weird, but really, isn't that what love is?

1 comment:

eric blair said...

the new frankmusik is going to be produced by stuart price, and its going to be fucking insane.