Friday, July 4, 2008

saviour of the universe.

Queen are one of my favourite bands ever, but in the grand scheme of Queen songs, the title track for the Flash Gordon movie doesn't really hold a candle to any of their other classic songs. Yet for some reason I felt compelled to post the following video, just so you can witness just how far it descends into insane 80's camp. This is partially accomplished by including scenes from the movie, which is pretty much one of the campiest, cheesiest movies ever (I've never even actually seen it, but I caught most of it without the volume while at a bar one night several years ago, and I think I pretty much got the gist of it.) And the song is so over the top to begin with that the resulting video is just one big glorious mess of 80's kitsch.



By the way, Freddy Mercury, another one of the all-time great moustaches.

One of the main reasons I like Queen so much is because Brian May is probably my favourite guitar player ever, but another one of my favourite guitar players is Randy Rhoads, who was the guitarist on the first two Ozzy Osbourne solo albums. Ozzy is a huge joke these days but the two records he did with Randy are insanely good (mostly because Rhoads played on them.) Anyways, I found a really cool video of a live performance of Mr Crowley from around 1980.



Its hard to believe, and extremely depressing, that Rhoads would be dead 2 years later at the age of 25. There's no telling what else he would have gone on to accomplish. Please, someone remind me never to go on a plane ride with a sketchy, coked-out tour bus driver, under any circumstances!

No comments: