Monday, June 23, 2008

I hope the Russians love their children too.

Recently I have been obsessed with this Sting song from the beginning of his solo career, Russians. It never ceases to amaze me when celebrities and musicians think they can change the world in these profound ways by singing or talking about something that the rest of us already know, like "poverty is bad," or in this case, "nuclear war is bad!" So in the midst if the Cold War when it seemed like the US and Russia were on the verge of mutual nuclear annihilation, Sting thought he would help us all out by putting out this gem:



Now don't get me wrong, I think this is an amazing song, but I think in general Sting is kind of a wanker. It's a wonder we weren't all blown up in 1985 when the one man standing between us and full-scale nuclear war was this guy:



OK, so I'm probably being a little harsh. Russians is more a song that attempts to poignantly describe the Cold War hysterics of the 80's, and I highly doubt that Sting felt that its release was going to actually make a difference in the grand scheme of things. But you know what, Sting always seems like such a self-righteous prick, and if I can come up with excuse to post a picture of him in metal underwear from David Lynch's Dune, then damnit, I'm going to do it.

1 comment:

guttafool said...

i think the rhythmic gymnast really proves a point in this video.