Monday, September 22, 2008

its gonna be a showdown.



I was first introduced to ELO's brilliant song Showdown via the hilarious 1996 Farrelly Brothers bowling comedy, Kingpin (which is the second greatest bowling comedy ever made next to the Big Lebowski.) Its funny, I've loved this song for a long time, but I've never really sought out any more music from the Electric Light Orchestra. I guess in my head nothing else they could ever do would ever be as good as Showdown. Its also surpirising that I had never checked out what Youtube had to offer in ELO content, but now that I have, I get the impression that there is a whole world of crazy 70's disco art rock just waiting to be discovered. Not only did they release a staggering number of hit songs, but I didn't realize it before today, but a big part of ELO's stage show and general aesthetic was their reliance on "spaceship imagery," which, of course, is right up my alley. Also, I had never seen a photo of the group, and its amusing to me how much rock star fashion has changed since the 70's. Its definitely much more difficult in today's musical climate to rock the "crazy homeless man that may or may not have a knife" look that ELO frontman Jeff Lynne sported in the bands heyday.

No comments: