Thursday, January 22, 2009

well done academy. you suck.



Well the list of Oscar nominations was released this morning. The Academy got a few things right but mostly just exposed themselves as being a bunch of shameless dumbasses, which is pretty much par for the course for this increasingly irrelevant organization that will happily hand over best picture honours to any condescending drivel whose main thematic message is that "racism = bad." I could continue to rant about this, but I would pretty much be repeating every argument verbatim from this AV Club piece, so just read that instead. Actually no, fuck it, I'm going to rant just a little bit. In short, it just seems logical to me to give a Best Picture and Best Director nod to the film and director that united critics and audiences unlike anyone had ever really done before, even if said film was ostensibly about a dude who dresses up like a bat. I haven't seen The Reader, the Kate Winslet "sexy illiterate Nazi movie" that ended up getting the nomination, so I guess I'm not in too much of a position to criticize it, but I think The Dark Knight or Wall-E deserved a little more recognition for what they accomplished, even if they do happen to be big pop culture movies and not quiet character studies. If they absolutely had to go the usual Academy route, I would have gladly given The Wrestler (which I will say one final time was my favourite film of last year,) or Gran Torino (which was also fucking amazing) the nomination. But hey, who asked me right? Also, despite my endorsement only yesterday, both the Boss and Clint got snubbed in the best song category! I'm not even going to say anything about that, I'm too angry.

Anyways here's the list of the major nominations and my picks for who is going to win.

BEST ACTOR
Richard Jenkins - The Visitor
Frank Langella - Frost / Nixon
Sean Penn - Milk
Brad Pitt - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Mickey Rourke - The Wrestler

Bobbo pick: Rourke better win this or else...I will write something angry about it in this blog, so watch out, Academy.

BEST ACTRESS
Anne Hathaway - Rachel Getting Married
Angelina Jolie - The Changeling
Melissa Leo - Frozen River
Meryl Streep - Doubt
Kate Winslet - The Reader

Bobbo pick: to be honest I haven't seen any of these. Fuck it, give it to Winslet, she's been nominated like 8,000 times.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Josh Brolin - Milk
Robert Downey Jr. - Tropic Thunder
Phillip Seymour Hoffman - Doubt
Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight
Michael Shannon - Revolutionary Road

Bobbo pick: I'm shocked that RDJ was nominated, and I certainly loved that performance, but this one goes to Heath.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Amy Adams - Doubt
Penelope Cruz - Vicki Cristina Barcelona
Viola Davis - Doubt
Taraji P. Henson - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Marisa Tomei - The Wrestler

Bobbo pick: Tomei's performance in The Wrestler was outstanding. So was her nudity.

BEST DIRECTOR
David Fincher - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Ron Howard - Frost / Nixon
Gus Van Sant - Milk
Stephen Daldry - The Reader
Danny Boyle - Slumdog Millionaire

Bobbo pick: I would give it to Ron Howard but Danny Boyle will probably win.

BEST PICTURE
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Frost / Nixon
Milk
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire

Bobbo pick: I would rather this went to The Dark Knight, Wall-E, The Wrestler, or Gran Torino, but of the films that were actually nominated, again I think Frost / Nixon should win but it will most likely be Slumdog Millionaire.

1 comment:

Your Best Friend said...

I agree with most of what you said, but The Wrestler was totally over-hyped. I think Frank Langella had a better performance. I blogged about the nominees today as well.